Monday, June 23, 2008

Tubabos can't dance like Sikoronians

After I got back from Fanta’s I went with Niang’s son Papé down the street to a huge engagement party. There was a DJ in the middle of the dusty street surrounded by hundreds of kids of all ages. The DJ was hysterical and would call up either girls or guys to dance for each song- there was never a song that had co-ed dancing. The girls danced to the Boboraba (Bambara equivalent of Sirmixalot) and when the guys had their turn in the center of the circle, they did the most ridiculous break dancing I’ve ever seen. They would put any MTV dancer to shame, and in their Timberlands and their huge jeans, they could still dance in the middle of that dusty road in the oppressive heat like nothing I’ve ever seen before.
I danced with Niang’s sister Fifi for a song, and as the DJ was inviting all the girls to come to the center to dance, he had to announce tubabo, tubabo (because no one noticed before that I was the only tubabo there..)

No comments: